 CAD / Development / 5932
Re: Democracy (Was: next parts vote/update - when???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:52:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
There is one aspect, however, which simply cannot be fixed later on.
This is the insertion point and rotation of the part.  Having a parts
library without a consistent insertion point/rotation regime is kinda
sad.

Um, me too.

It's extremely frustrating to work with some parts in the library due to
these inconsistencies -- immediate examples include <part:30079> and several
minifig accessories, not to mention the goofy assortment of rotation axes
among the wheels and gears.

Cheers,
- jsproat

Has this been suggested before:

I understand that altering a zero point or rotation orientation will break
models. But what if a new part were assigned at that time, and the old
number referenced the new number (with appropriate transformation to save
the old modes.) This would not be so bad in the case that we are not using a
Lego mold number (parts with no mold numbers, like minifig accessories.)

I'd like to discuss an open-source algorithm to automatically generate
helpful information on the actual zero point and orientation of existing
parts, as well as automatically compute optimal choices.

-Erik