 CAD / Development / 5909
Re: Democracy (Was: next parts vote/update - when???)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:30:56 GMT

Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

Let's say one trusted authority, Steve, Lars, anyone-else? looks at
the part one at the time. Parts with obvious flaws set aside. Then
run L3P -check and exclude parts with critical errors, like
"1-3-2-4-quads". Then simply officialize those that passed the
tests.

Almost all aspects of a part can be brushed upon later, should a
faulty part be officialized.  Bow-tie quads, syntax errors, header
errors and bad names.  All can easily be fixed later on.

There is one aspect, however, which simply cannot be fixed later on.
This is the insertion point and rotation of the part.  Having a parts
library without a consistent insertion point/rotation regime is kinda
sad.

I've been trying to address this issue when I comment on parts
presented on the LUGNET DAT groups.  But I would still like to see
some more focus on this issue.  We have a lot of bad examples in the
parts library, and even a few from recent parts update.

However the parts update is done in the future, I would be happy to
see that parts are still posted to the cad.dat.parts group for
comments before going official.

Fredrik