 CAD / Development / 5836
Re: POV difference in LDraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 23:40:36 GMT

Well.. actually... I've almost finished an AutoCAD VBA-macro for importing
DAT-files (into Acad 2000(i)).

Just having touble with the transformation matrix thingy... I get the
objects placed correctly, but not rotated/scaled properly.
so... if anyone feel that they could help me out here... contact me....

Trond Hasse Lie
Norway
lietro@hotmail.com

"Andrew" <ABNews@tesco.net> wrote in message news:G5KyCM.3I5@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad.dev, Jeff Boen writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

Is there any way to make something similar to the useful difference
function from POV into LDraw?

One of the main reasons I wrote my 3DSMAX to DAT converter was to use the
boolean ops modelling abilities of 3DSMAX. When I created the technic • wheels
and tires that were basically a dish with holes bored through them, I • couldn't
imagine doing it with anything less robust than a real modeller. I would • look
into ACAD, MAX, Lightwave or possibly even one of the free/shareware • modellers
that people like (I think) Franklin Cain are using.
I'm pretty sure you can get an older version of MAX or ACAD for cheap...
especially if you're a student.

I have no knowledge of writing scripts for converting files between CAD
packages but I would be interested to know if anyone has or could write a
converter from MLCAD to AutoCAD.  AutoCAD like Microstation and 3DSMAX has • a
built in rendering application which can produce some very good looking
images.  Architects use Microstation a lot for the sexy graphics of the
buildings they create.  But further than that you can add Desktop Radiance
(A free program from the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory) to AutoCAD
which can then produce incredibly high quality renders which could be lit
either artificially or through daylighting.

http://radsite.lbl.gov/deskrad/dradHOME.html

Thanks