 CAD / Development / 5837
Re: Patterned parts authoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:04:27 GMT

I am now able to author some patterned parts, though not in the manner that
Franklin does (it sounded rather complicated!)  I remembered something said
awhile back about a Bmp2dat converter, for which I did a search and
downloaded.  It took about ten minutes to figure out how to operate it and
now I can work on parts.  I just need the time now...   :)

Best regards,
--Ryan

E-mail: ryanjf@ifriendly.com
Website: http://home.ifriendly.com/~fourfarrs/home.htm

Franklin Cain wrote:
Here's how I got started:

Using the *text* editor of your choice (I use Notepad),
open up the DAT file of the corresponding blank/un-patterned part
(973.dat forthe minifig torso; 3626b.dat for the minifig head;
(etc.)).  Look at the code inside this DAT file.
Save a copy in your "\models" directory, and change some of the
code around, like changinf the color of a quad to "15" (White)
or "13" (HotPink) to see what happens when you render this changed
file in the LDraw renderer of your choice (I prefer MLCAD).
Then, copy over a patterned file of this part (for ex.,
if you've chosen the simpler part, the minifig torso,
copy over one of the existing patterned torsos, such as 973p01.dat).
Study the code inside it.  Look at the similarities and at
the differences.  Look for the symmetries inside the code
(assuming a symmetrical pattern was chosen as your example).

Oh, and be certain to save "back-up" copies of whatever
DAT files you're playing with.

This should at least get you started.  Good luck!  :-)
Franklin