 CAD / Development / 4903
Re: question on naming - pirate guns vs. modern guns
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 19:14:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Greg Howell writes:

minifig pirate rifle

No!  No!  No!  No!  No!  >:-(
No!  No!  No!  No!  No!  >:-(
No!  No!  No!  No!  No!  >:-(
No!  No!  No!  No!  No!  >:-(

See:
http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=1114

A musket is a *SMOOTHBORE* firearm (long gun).

A rifle is a firearm (long gun)
which has spiraling grooves -- called *RIFLING* --
down the inside of the barrel,
to impart a "spin" to the bullet as it's being fired,
so as to improve the bullet's accuracy
and extend its range.

A search in any competent dictionary or encyclopedia
will give a more detailed explanation of the differences
between the two.

Sorry if I'm being a little strong,
but as a firearms enthusiast, this is one of my "pet peeves".

And *BESIDES*, we've *already* nailed this one down.
Click on "see *entire* thread" link below for details.

Franklin