 CAD / Development / 4401
Re: BFC: LITS 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 21:13:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Rui Martins wrote:

Now you don't like local clipping anymore ? too or tree mails before you were
in favour or am I mistaken ?

I think we're using different meanings here.  By 'local clipping', I
mean the clip-setting in a subfile disappears when that subfile is
finished.  It is not carried back up to the superfile, and it is not
reinstated if the same subfile is used later in the rendering.

I should we make complicated spec for clipping, just because of one stupid case
the INVERT case, all other cases work well.

The INVERT case is fairly important.

So why NOT just disable clipping for that specific rendering (user selectable)
and as soon as we find them all, they aren't that many, we just correct them.

Because there are that many of them.  I'd estimate that 1/4 to 1/2 of
all primitive references need to be inverted.

Also every rendering that included a bfc reviewed/certified file would emediatly
benefit from it, and NOT after having checked all it's branches and correcting
all it's subfiles, where the reference was used.

Why would have file have to check all it's branches?  And who said
anything about 'correcting' subfiles?

A file is referenced.  It renders with BFC stuff.  It references a
subfile.  That subfile is not BFC-ready, so it doesn't get BFC'ed.  The
subfile exits.  The first file continues.  It references another
subfile.  This subfile is BFC-ready, it benefits from culling.

I don't see how this is some unreasonable amount of extra work to check
a single flag at the beginning of a file.

Just think about it:
- Local clipping
- No Branch Clipping restriction
- Imediate benefits from BFCed files
- Invert cases, just disable clipping, by DAT file or PART file, programs are
easy to change to allow this, or more simply, just disable entire model
clipping until you correct the ofending reference.

Great.  So some minor file somewhere happens to not be cleaned up, and
you think it's better to disable BFC for the entire rendering?

P.S.
Is my drilling working or NOT ?  8)

No, sorry.  It's not working.  Is mine? :)

Steve