 CAD / Development / 4291
Re: BFC: LITS 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 23:30:38 GMT

Here's the third message in my review of the "Line in the Sand" thread.
This message covers my review from message #28 to message #40 in the
thread (sorted by thread-view, not chronology).  That's
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3219> for the start, and
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3210> for the finish.

In <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3219>, Lars quoted & wrote:

Maybe it would be better to drop WINDING UNKNOWN and specify that the default
value for CLIPPING is ON.  File authors would use CLIPPING OFF for double-sided
or non-compliant sections of code.  Note that the CLIPPING default would really
only effect the main file in a rendering, because superfiles would pass down
their clip-setting to subfiles.

Curent_Clip = Local_Clip and Super_File_Clip

Making this change would bring us closer to a consensus, it would simplify the
spec and keep it clean, and would eliminate overlapping and potentially
confusing functions.

Yes.

I haven't reviewed the rest of the thread yet, so this may be a
point/concesion I dropped.

I have to read this better to make an opinion, later !

In <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3213>, Rui made a long discussion
pertaining to CLIPPING being a local option, and being able to clip
subfiles, even when the parents aren't BFC-certified.  I'm not going to
quote it here, because I would have to include nearly the entire
message.  Please follow the link, and read the original message.

There is one overriding reason why subfiles can *not* be BFC'ed when
their referencing-superfiles are not certified:  there is no way to tell
whether the subfile should be inverted or normal.  Allowing local
clipping cannot override this limitation.

Now you don't like local clipping anymore ? too or tree mails before you were
in favour or am I mistaken ?

I should we make complicated spec for clipping, just because of one stupid case
the INVERT case, all other cases work well.
So why NOT just disable clipping for that specific rendering (user selectable)
and as soon as we find them all, they aren't that many, we just correct them.
Also every rendering that included a bfc reviewed/certified file would emediatly
benefit from it, and NOT after having checked all it's branches and correcting
all it's subfiles, where the reference was used.
Just think about it:
- Local clipping
- No Branch Clipping restriction
- Imediate benefits from BFCed files
- Invert cases, just disable clipping, by DAT file or PART file, programs are
easy to change to allow this, or more simply, just disable entire model
clipping until you correct the ofending reference.

P.S.
Is my drilling working or NOT ?  8)

see ya

Rui Martins