 CAD / Development / 4273
Re: BFC: LITS 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:55:00 GMT

Here's the third message in my review of the "Line in the Sand" thread.
This message covers my review from message #28 to message #40 in the
thread (sorted by thread-view, not chronology).  That's
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3219> for the start, and
<http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3210> for the finish.

In <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3219>, Lars quoted & wrote:

Maybe it would be better to drop WINDING UNKNOWN and specify that the default
value for CLIPPING is ON.  File authors would use CLIPPING OFF for double-sided
or non-compliant sections of code.  Note that the CLIPPING default would really
only effect the main file in a rendering, because superfiles would pass down
their clip-setting to subfiles.

Curent_Clip = Local_Clip and Super_File_Clip

Making this change would bring us closer to a consensus, it would simplify the
spec and keep it clean, and would eliminate overlapping and potentially
confusing functions.

Yes.

I haven't reviewed the rest of the thread yet, so this may be a
point/concesion I dropped.

In <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=3213>, Rui made a long discussion
pertaining to CLIPPING being a local option, and being able to clip
subfiles, even when the parents aren't BFC-certified.  I'm not going to
quote it here, because I would have to include nearly the entire
message.  Please follow the link, and read the original message.

There is one overriding reason why subfiles can *not* be BFC'ed when
their referencing-superfiles are not certified:  there is no way to tell
whether the subfile should be inverted or normal.  Allowing local
clipping cannot override this limitation.

Steve