 CAD / Development / 4319
Re: Influencing what parts people work on
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 12:01:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John Matthews writes:
Just a thought.. I noticed that Jonathan B. Knudsen has released rendered
instructions for some (all? not sure) of the robots from his book:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lmstorms/building/

Apparently, Jonathan 'influenced' some decisions to make a few parts for his
use in his book.  Of course these parts also benefit the rest of us.  Would
the Guild be willing to share designs as well?

This is something that different Guild members have different opinions about.
I've discussed my own views on this in the past... I tend to lean against it
but others may not. My sense is that if our actions increase the number of
parts designed (at least one person has contacted me about designing who is not
currently a designer), and ensures that the parts that are designed are of high
quality, that is benefit enough.

I am sensitive to the feelings of some of the folks who have come out against
this desire on the part of the Guild, believe it or not.

By analogy, note that TLC doesn't make its designs available either, and
brickshelf takes the policy that instruction scans won't be posted till after a
set is out of production. (well, 2 years after introduction, but that's a
reasonable stand it for a precise determination of "out of production")

++Lar