 CAD / Development / 4307
Re: Influencing what parts people work on
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:44:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

The reason why I haven't responded to this thread earlier was the complicated language that kept me from fully
understanding what the point is.
What I now understand about the guild is:
* You are fueled by frustration over the juniorisation of official Lego sets, and...
* ...love to the original and ingenious concept of Lego
* You make fantastic "sets", and...
* ...offer them for sale.
* You use LDraw-related software, but...
* ...need more LDrawn parts.
* You could think of rewarding part authors one way or the other to change priorities.

Well, the first thing I notice is the foundation of antipathy and the cult-like elements. (Since I have experiences in
the periphery of some cults, I am a little "allergic" to those fragrances.)
The second thing is the great sets you have achieved. If the fruit is making them available to purchase, then the tree
must be good, I tell myself.
But then again, I sence that the spirit of "gratis" is, just like John Van wrote, in danger. I already felt it when the
CD-rom project was discussed. Also, how far can we push our luck until TLC's lawyers return to their word processors...?

I have given my efforts out for free without a thought of own reward. But I have had great rewards:
* A mind-challenging hobby to keep them gray cells in shape
* I can freely use the fruit of other people's work
* Some positive feedback
* A better job! (1)
* The hard-to-describe feeling of belonging to a small but yet global community

(1) When I applied for the job as a Network Technician, I told the IT Manager I had very little knowledge of PC
networks, but I told him to take a look at the SimLego page. I had the job, and I still have it, even though my title
has changed into IT Support.

A strange thing happened to me today: A toy manufacturer contacted me via e-mail and asked me if I am willing to
develope software to their constuction toys. (Has anyone else recieved a similar mail recently?) There is a small
possibility that it's a scam, but I don't think so. Anyway, I'm cautious - but curious. Why am I telling this? I count
it as yet another reward for my L-CAD efforts.

With all this said, and many more thoughts left unsaid, I'm seriously worried about the future of the Freeware spirit of
L-CAD. What will be the next almost-commercial activity? If it's just a little bit more commercial, should we say 'no'
then? Where should the border be drawn? Who draws the border?

/Tore