 CAD / Development / 4288
  Influencing what parts people work on

As you know, The Guild of Bricksmiths, (URL) a big user of LDraw compatible tools, since Guild members are producing instructions for almost all of their kits. From time to time a Guildsman runs into a part he or she would really like to use in a (...) (24 years ago, 2-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev) !

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) A question, if I may -- how should we be referring to the female members of your guild? Do you call them Guildswomen, Guildspersons, or Guildsmen? --Todd (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) I prefer Guildsman. But you'll have to ask Julie, she's our token member of the fair(1) sex at current. Interesting place for a follow up to go, I must say. I guess paying for parts designers to take our wishes into account is market related (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) followed by silence from everyone else. Wrong group? Drop me a note if you think I should have posted this somewhere else... Thanks! The charter for cad.dat.parts didn't quite seem to fit. ++Lar (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) Oops, I'm responding in public. Oh, well. I think my comments are fodder for the public, anyway. Jonathan Knudsen has already shown that it's possible to get parts drawn on request. I know he got at least three respondents, probably more. And (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:FsEvqJ.1pI@lugnet.com... (...) to (...) designing (...) with (...) done (...) "paid" (...) to (...) pay (...) benefit (...) I see both plusses and minuses to such an arrangement: Plusses: 1. (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

As you know, I tend to see *everything* in terms of paying for it, or at least motivation, at any rate. I think John raises some good points and I don't have answers, but I do have some musings. (...) You made those parts for your own reasons, which (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

The reason why I haven't responded to this thread earlier was the complicated language that kept me from fully understanding what the point is. What I now understand about the guild is: * You are fueled by frustration over the juniorisation of (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) This might be the encouragement I need to dive further into parts development. However, I would need to have a copy of the part, and I doubt I would be able to work on anything too complicated right away (ex, no (...) (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) I hope this works because this will finally get some of those castle decorated elements I have been wanting for ages. (24 years ago, 3-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) I have to agree with John and Tore, all the parts/software I wrote in the past were done without expecting to get anything back. I don't want to be rude but we are fine doing everything for free and I'd like to keep things that way, I know (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

Just a thought.. I noticed that Jonathan B. Knudsen has released rendered instructions for some (all? not sure) of the robots from his book: (URL) Jonathan 'influenced' some decisions to make a few parts for his use in his book. Of course these (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

So, this is a good time to re-iterate the purpose of the Gnu Public License (GPL): it makes gratis stuff stay gratis. Even more importantly, if you word it correctly, you can force anyone who creates an element that uses stud.dat to release their (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) Nice sets you have created there, where can I get the dat files? Regards John (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Influencing what parts people work on

(...) This is something that different Guild members have different opinions about. I've discussed my own views on this in the past... I tend to lean against it but others may not. My sense is that if our actions increase the number of parts (...) (24 years ago, 4-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dat.parts)

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:FsGCEz.42y@lugnet.com... (...) least (...) have (...) Is (...) mention (...) example (...) tread (...) those (...) odd.) (...) good (...) decision (...) a (...) time (...) But (...) a (...) to (...) (24 years ago, 11-Apr-00, to lugnet.cad.dev)