 CAD / Development / 3982
Re: Suggestion for interprocess communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 15:00:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson writes:
... SNIP ...
Ever tried Delphi? :-))
Yes, :-((((

I'm sorry if I sounded a bit 'unresponsive' (tired, got a cold). I realize
you're right, we should probably use the builtin Windows D&D (Our programs are
not easily ported to unix/Linux anyway).
No problem :-) Hope you feel weel again soon ...

I think that we should use plain CF_TEXT as the clipboard format, as every
program handling text can paste it too.
The only problem is if there are apps accepting CF_TEXT but doesn't know about
LEGO at all, you will loose a part :-(
Private formats which are registers with just one easy function call, would
ask for a unique name defined as a standard for LEGO Apps, and thus avoid
dropping a LEGO part to an application which shouldn't accept it!
Also using private formats allows defining a simple C-structure which is
passed to the drag-drop operation.
But I'm open ....

But we do need some kind of protocol - LDList will want to know if a drop was
accepted/used, to be able to keep piece counts correct (Is this already
inherent in Win D&D?).

The source of the drag & drop operation (that one where you start the drag ..)
calls a function which returns the result of the drag&drop operation, which is
returned from the drop-target application.
It can be one of (not exactly the MS defs.) NONE ... nothing done
COPY ... drop target copied the data
MOVE ... drop target moved data (normaly not used between seperate apps).
The program could return whatever it likes of theese codes.

Suggestion: NONE means target did not except the operation, COPY or MOVE means
done.

OK, back to the manuals, I'll try to read up on D&D in Delphi...
COOL ... :-) ... happy reading, let me know if you find something else useful
for us ...

Michael