 CAD / Development / 4001
Re: Suggestion for interprocess communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 10:50:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson writes:
Michael Lachmann skrev i meddelandet ...
Another thing which comes into my mind now ....

If LDList is managing the sets with it's parts, then it would not only have
to know that someone is dragging a part away from it, but also if someone is
changing the part color in a CAD program, if the part is deleted, copied...
I'll simply ignore those facts :-)

If someone is building with set pieces, they'd better keep to the pieces and
colors, or get lost...

Seriously, if we want that functionality, then I think the modeller itself
must keep track of everything - it's too much to put into a communications
protocol.

Perhaps you could put MLCad into 'set mode', which makes it impossible to
change the colors, or add arbitrary pieces...

That's an item I was thinking about already ... will see whats possible ...

As an (perhaps better) alternative, MLCad could be the program reading the set
description, and then cross-reference the current piece count with the set
each time a piece is added or re-colored (refuse to add pieces not in the set,
of the wrong color, no more left, etc.). You already have the mechanism for
creating inventory lists of the model.

In this way LDList doesn't have to keep track of anything...

Not so easy with D&D ... maybe we use some other mechanism ? ...
Also in this case plain window messages are not enough!

Don't forget: In Windows, everything is done with messages! So, whatever is
done with the high-level thingys in MFC (OLE etc.) is in reality done with
plain window messages!

Sure, I know, but for me the plain api with its window messages is already
similar to the difference between hardware and software of a computer :-) I
mean I do not say that I can't work with hardware, but when you can do it with
software it's much cheaper and easier :-)

Michael

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm