 CAD / Development / 3976
Re: Suggestion for interprocess communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:56:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson writes:
Michael Lachmann skrev i meddelandet ...

Since Windows has a real drag & drop mechanism, which is realy easy to
implement when using the MFC extensions of Microsoft, I suggest using this
mechanism.

Sigh, I suppose it makes sense, using 'real' drag & drop, although I'm not
very keen on adding a ton of OLE into my program. Nor to think about
developing time...

I agree that it is more effort for none MFC applications.

Most MFC solutions are *massive* overkill for simple applications, but that is
not noticed, as all the DLL-s are included in the Windows installation anyway.

Not realy, since if you want to make sure your program is working on all
computers no matter whats installed you have to make a static build, which
means your application get bigger (Thats wy MLCad is so big).

Just for the fun of it: What's 'unreal' about our current solution/suggestion?

I think it's just the way how we do it. In 32 bit Windows it's common to use
existing interprocess communication methodes like Rpc, shared memory, pipes or
OLE (which is called ActiveX now).
An advantage of using the real drag & drop mechanism is that you can go over
the clip-board, which makes it possible that one program pastes something on
the clip-board, exits and another program could retrieve the info later on
(e.g. in case of memory problems).

Also the overhead you cause in the operating system when you search a window
(I guess an application which want's to pass information would have to look
whats under the curser, send the query message, check its response and send
another message with the real data.). This means you implement that what OLE
is doing already anyway, a second time :-(

Thats the reason wy I suggested real drag & drop, following the general
guideline, reuse whatever is possible!

Another one is, that it will never be possible for MLCad to send such a
message to another window, since it cannot disdinguish when it should use
Messages and when it should use OLE.

The advantage of MFC by the way, is that developing applications like MLCad is
much easier and powerfull than any other way ...
And I know what I'm talking about since I wrote plain (none MFC) Applications
long time before, and the time you win when using MFC can be used for cool
features ...