 CAD / Development / 3983
Re: stl2dat conversion tool beta2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:33:55 GMT

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:36:31 GMT, Rui Martins <Rui.Martins@link.pt>
wrote:

I haven't had time to check if the stl supports NURBS, or is it just a
normal poligon based format ?
STL only support triangles. Nurbs (and other geometry) must be
converted by the CAD software to triangles. That's
why I choosed STL : it already contains triangles and that's very near
LDraw format. (In a geometric point of view)

I have currently the TECHNIC Tire and Wheel done, the ones that came with
the 8880 Super Car model (without the lines/optional lines), And the tool
I used, allows to save in this format, so I have got to try it out.

Buy the way, do you correctly generate these lines (expecially the
optional ones) ?
Yes, I generate automatically the lines between two adjacent facet. If
the angle is lower than a certain value (about
45°) the line is optional. However, the program only check strictly
adjacent facets. I have to improve it so it check also
partial adjacent facets.

Are you interested to be able to change this value ?
Are they other things that you wish to control ?

Marc Klein
A Mindstorms fan.