 CAD / Development / 2455
Re: why is no-one saying anything about my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:39:53 GMT

At 12:11 AM 7/30/99 , you wrote:
i am not the only person to ever
make a part that has been checked over by the author and found by them to be
correct and someone else later finds a mistake. none of the parts is not
sutible for use in ldraw models and pov-ray renderings.

No one was saying you were.  Also, no one is attacking your effort, because
your effort and persistence are to be applauded.

all i am asking is that you give me a chance. it took me a lot of effort
to get my hands on these parts to model and i genuinly want to contribute
something back to the community. i porimise not to ask for amy more parts
or help on the newsgroup.

I wasn't telling you _not_ to ask for help, but rather not to ask for help
in the manner you have been using.  One-line whiney emails are an annoying
nuisance, where a well-developed email explaining what you need and all
your thoughts on the matter (not to mention properly formatted and signed
with a signature), will get you somewhere.

Something like this:

"can someone please mkco-up the trap door piece and 6090 baseplate?
i really need them for a model i am working on...
i would make them but no-one i know of has them so..."

Or this [1]:

"can someone please help me with the horse tail?
if i can get someone to help me with the tail i will give the rest of
the horse everything i have got in an effort to get the part made (i am
sure that there are many many peop,le who would like to see this part)"

Can be considered improperly formatted whining.  Where something like this
could be viewed as respectable:

"I am going to attempt to make the horse part for LDraw.  I feel that I can
tackle the horse body and it shouldn't be a problem.  However, I am not
experienced enough to know how to properly model the horse's tail.  I would
appreciate it if someone more experienced could give me a few pointers on
how to accomplish it.  Please reply via email.

Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com>
http://members.xoom.com/wilsonj/"

You can clearly see the difference in tone between the two messages.  Note
the use of proper sentence case, sentence structure, spelling, and the use
of a signature.  A short signature will do.  Your email program should have
a signature feature.

i notice that the greatest vioce agazinst me has come from people like tim
coutrney who have never made a part and who do not know how hard it can be
for a beginner like myself. do you think that people like steve bliss and
chris dee made parts that were perfect back when they were learning?

Granted, I have not made a part.  But just because I don't make parts
doesn't mean I don't read this group [2].  I have a general understanding
that parts making is difficult and tedious, and that's why I have decided
it is not for me at this moment in time.

I also do not believe that Steve or Chris were *perfect* when they were
learning.  But the manner that they went about learning was totally
different.  I don't ever remember either of them whining to the group for
help.  They have always been respectful and helpful and have worked hard at
making good parts.  You work hard to make good parts too.  And you have
improved.  A LOT [3].

The main thing I notice is the attitude and manner you post with.  I see
emails that are only one or two lines, no capitalization, and atrocious
spelling.  They often put high demands on experienced (and often busy)
members of the group.  *Please* change the tone of your posting and work on
improving in this area.  It will gain you a lot of respect from this group
(me included).  If you need help with your email program setting a
signature, feel free to contact me via email and I will help you out the
best I know how to.  I'm not against you in the sense that I want to see
you fall, I want to see you improve.  But I don't see any better way of
getting your attention.

Another thing to help is to focus yourself.  Focus on *one* part, and check
and double check until you get it right, or you feel you can go no
further.  Post it.  Post a message with it explaining what you did, what
you think is good on it, and what you think needs to be improved.  Ask at
that time if others can help you by providing insight.  Be
respectful.  Being respectful will earn you respect.

If you can heed to this insight then I'm positive that your image will
improve and you will gain respect in this group.  But if you blatantly
disregard this you have absolutely no right to whine about people blasting you.

I hope I have clearly gotten my point across without any feelings being
hurt.  There's times for action like this, and there's times to sit back
and shut up (on my part).  My intentions aren't to totally come against you
and shoo you away, but to hopefully get your attention and offer my insight
on how you can improve.  I'm not perfect either.  Everyone has to learn
sometime, and believe me, I went through this too - though it wasn't with
parts, it was here in the Lego community on other projects.

look at the example fo the aquanauts patterned tile that was posted
several times
by someone who wanted to get it perfect.

Read Steve's reply for a good expansion on this topic.

[1] Heh - I'm used to mirc where if you highlight a line it automagically
copys it :)

[2] And, I receive this group via email.  If I just used the web interface
I would simply ignore your posts - unless I was thoroughly bored.

[3] Yes, I took the time to examine a few of your recent parts before
posting yesterday.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out of my butt.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne