 CAD / Development / 2439
Re: why is no-one saying anything about my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:37:01 GMT

At 09:15 AM 7/29/99 , Jonathan Wilson wrote:
why is no-one saying anything about my parts?
last time there was dicussion left right and center even before everyone
found out i did not have any lego. now i do and no-one wants to comment.
how am i to know which parts need fixing before the update comes out and
which ones need further work period.

Ok, I took a look at a few of your parts this morning.

<flame>
The reason people haven't said boo about your parts is because they know it
will be wasting their breath.  There is still a lot lacking in the parts I
viewed.  The incessant bugging of the group for ideas, help, or demanding
for new parts is wearing us down.  To just read and delete mails that say
'how do you do the hose on x with y' sours my email reading
experience.  TRUTHFULLY.  I have MUCH more important things to do than to
read whining.

You should realize that Lego just isn't about computer designing in and of
itself. You have to know the product.  Would you build a real boat if
you've never been on one?

Also, even the way you write these whines adds to the effect.  In a highly
technical area no one wants to read juvinilesque blabber.  Capitalize, use
a signature!  Sign your emails....its silly and awkward without.
</flame>

Now, what can you do to improve?  Here's a few of my pointers:

1) When asking for help on parts creation, develop paragraphs about exactly
what you want help on.

2) Group multiple questions in one email, no one wants to read floods of
short mails.

3) Don't whine about parts you want when you have bazillions of incomplete
parts yourself.  And when all your models on your site contain your
virtually proprietary sub-standard 'parts' making them difficult to view.

4) Yes, do the signature thing.  It speaks volumes.  And capitalize
too.  And show some respect.

5) As far as parts myself - since I don't make them I don't have much to
say, but here goes for my tips:

  - Focus on one or two parts at a time until you can get them up to the
quality standards of the group.  Then submit them, only when you yourself
find ABSOLUTELY NOTHING or very little wrong with them.

  - Point out your own mistakes, don't ask everyone else to.

  - Learn from examples on other parts.  Use all the resources you can to
improve.

  - FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS - Don't give up!!

I feel that if you do the above, things *will* improve, but realize it
takes time.  But please - don't incessantly pester the group.

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com
http://www.ldraw.org
AIM:   timcourtne