 CAD / Development / 2442
Re: why is no-one saying anything about my parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 03:40:32 GMT

Usually I only stop by this group every once in awhile, but I've noticed this
was building.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
At 09:15 AM 7/29/99 , Jonathan Wilson wrote:
why is no-one saying anything about my parts?
last time there was dicussion left right and center even before everyone
found out i did not have any lego.

You were designing ldraw parts without actual pieces present for reference? I
wouldn't put any confidence in a system like that. I sure am glad others have
the pieces.

now i do and no-one wants to comment.

Just relax. If the work you do is good, it'll speak for itself, and sometimes
good results and praise don't happen quickly.

how am i to know which parts need fixing before the update comes out and
which ones need further work period.

I've seen ldraw parts that say "needs fixing". Can you ask about those? The
latest updates have all the official parts. Can you pick something that isn't
on the list?

Ok, I took a look at a few of your parts this morning.

<flame> • <snip>

You should realize that Lego just isn't about computer designing in and of
itself. You have to know the product.  Would you build a real boat if
you've never been on one?

I agree 100%.

Also, even the way you write these whines adds to the effect.  In a highly
technical area no one wants to read juvinilesque blabber.  Capitalize, use
a signature!  Sign your emails....its silly and awkward without.

When working collectively on a project, it is a must to know group protocol
and style so that communication and product release can be expedited smoothly.

</flame>

<snip>

What I think I'm seeing is a lack of intuition here. Knowing the process of
parts design may be easy, and having the tools for it is all fine and good,
but when it's not done correctly then something else is the matter.

- Focus on one or two parts at a time until you can get them up to the
quality standards of the group.  Then submit them, only when you yourself
find ABSOLUTELY NOTHING or very little wrong with them.

I know that I don't want to use parts unless they're as perfect as can be.
When I post a pic of a model assembled with ldraw, it's my reputation that's
on the line, moreso than the ldraw designers IMO, because I decided that I was
happy with a crappy program. If ldraw turns into crap, then I'll just take
photos. No one said I had to use it. But I'd rather not see poor work which
would flush a perfectly good program.

- Point out your own mistakes, don't ask everyone else to.

Self-critiquing can be one of your most powerful allies. Work on perfection.
No one expects you to get there, and we all make mistakes, but if you don't
have an eye for finding most errors then perhaps parts designing isn't for
you. I *know* it isn't for me. I thought about doing it once, and began to
read of the posts that pertain to it so I would start to familiarize myself
with it, and became thoroughly UNinterested. :-)

- Learn from examples on other parts.  Use all the resources you can to
improve.

Always analyze source code or data. Tinker with data, and see what happens as
a result. By learning patterns from your modifications, that is, cause and
effect as a result of changing the data, you become more of an expert at
predicting what something will do.

A new part should be put through the ringer before released, that is,
incorporated into various models (to compare it next to other pieces), and
ultimately POV-ray'ed or rendered in some other hi-res fashion, and viewed at
various angles and magnifications. You're not just modeling "a part": you're
modeling an element that hundreds will use in their works of art.

Okay. Enough from me.

-Tom McD.
when replying,