 CAD / Development / 10186
Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:07:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
I have now given Blender a good test, and I am hooked.
The user interface is a bit weird at first, but it grows
on you, and I expect it to be quite easy to use once I get
the hang of it. The software features are perfect for this:

GNU Free software with open source.
Good and accurate polygon mesh modeling.
Boolean operations (CSG objects).
Type-in transforms and grid snapping for precise editing.
Object pivot points and object linking.
Python plugins can be written to support LDR import/export.
Active development.
Good documentation and tutorials.
A large number of users.

Wow. I have found a new toy. :)
Now I have a good reason to learn Python.

  Stefan

Some work has already been done in LDraw Blender import and export.

I've used this and it works well for import:
http://donkey.dyndns.org/~yann/moin.cgi/LDraw_20model_20import_2fexport
Here's the related Lugnet thread:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=9735

This was an earlier work: