 CAD / Development / 10181
Re: Comments wanted: Plans for easier parts authoring
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:05:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Stefan Gustavson wrote:
   You don’t need high end tools like AutoCAD, 3DSMax, Maya or Lightwave, you can get by with a lot simpler tools like AC3D ($60) or Milkshape3D ($25), either will do the job. Writing a designated 3D modeler from scratch to design LDraw parts seems to me like a too complicated project, so we should look into using existing software and making it work for our purposes.

Any comments are welcome.

Hi Stefan,

While I think my opinion on this is well known, I’ll answer your call for responses here..

I agree that AFOL don’t “need” high-end tools for parts-authoring.. Any way to incorporate a graphical interface into the process would be a tremendous tool for the LEGO CAD community.

OTOH, I’d just like to (selfishly) continue to request work on translators for those of us in the commercial CAD world who have the tools and are just looking for ways to “play well” with the LDraw world.

One of the things I enjoy about working on LEGO parts in a CAD application like AutoCAD or SolidWorks is how it helps me teach the software. My students may be drawing LEGO parts, but they’re really learning a tool that will allow them to find a job drawing other things - in most cases things that physically get made, as opposed to graphics, for example.

If all the development moved over to something more “gamer-oriented” like Milkshape or Blender, I would probably follow it with interest, but I couldn’t use any of it in my class.. Not meaning to disparage those kind of apps, they’re just not something most of my students are interested in learning.

I suppose all of that is neither here nor there when it comes to your work (what do you or other AFOL care about my lesson plans?), but.. you asked! :)

Darrell