 CAD / Development / 9735
9734  |  9736
Subject:
Blender LDraw support
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:28:51 GMT

I hope this isn't off topic for this list. I've begun writing some scripts
for Blender to import (and eventually export) LDraw DAT files.

Cropped screenshot of result (pieces 105, 10 and 73057):
  http://donkey.dyndns.org/~yann/legoshot.png
Script location (currently 5KB):
  http://donkey.dyndns.org/~yann/datimport.py
Blender:
  http://www.blender3d.org/

Supported features:
  Loads DAT format, parsing line types:
   0 STEP Uses layers to make objects appear frame by frame. All objects
start on layer 1 and are added to layer 2 as well at their step.
   1 Inclusions. For the directly loaded model, these will be separate
objects. Included models will be merged into a single mesh each.
   3,4 Faces.

Unsupported features:
   MPD Easy enough to implement, but I haven't done it.
   Colours Somewhat trickier. Currently no material assignments are done.
   Model types Eventually should identify pieces vs primitives, and not
merge submodels. Pieces should be merged for models, but not
if loaded individually for piece editing.
   Pre-converted libraries (relatively easy to do using scenes)
   Exporting I'll have to write this, too. Don't expect automated
detection of primitives, but references will work.

Any comments?