 CAD / Development / 10168
Re: Parts editing made easy (well, easier)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:06:24 GMT

http://www.itn.liu.se/~stegu/lego/ase2dat/

Bug fix: my 3DS import now preserves the correct coordinates.
I noticed they were offset somewhat because of pivot point
issues, and that took some time to resolve. The 3DS file format
is actually very badly documented in public sources, but now
it works the way it should.

Now that I have the absolute coordinates sorted out correctly,
multiple named meshes and subpart hierarchies in the same file
can also be handled. It's not in there yet, but it's definitely
coming up. Then it will be possible to author large parts files
with proper subparts, not just a compact mass of primitives.

I also have a converter from DAT to 3DS started. It's only
about halfway finished yet, but it will be the last piece
of software needed to author LDraw parts completely within
a 3D design program like 3dsmax and export it to a proper
hierarchical DAT file, with subparts and primitives.

It might not happen tomorrow, but I'm on it, and I'm still
having a lot of fun doing it, so I'm not going to stop now.

  Stefan G