 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4756
Re: WOULD YOU PLEASE...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:33:07 GMT

[crossposted to lugnet.cad.dev, with followup-to set there as well --
this thread isn't about posting LDR files to lugnet]

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
...yes, would you please ask PERMISSION before you mess up my code! Yes I'm
angry, but I'm so sick!

If anyone is not sure about the general rule/protocol/guidelines on
this: for new parts (not fixes), you should *always* contact the author
and ask their permission before changing their part.  However, once a
part is released in the parts library it is generally considered 'fair
game' for anyone to improve.

Likewise, if someone makes a relatively small change to an official part
(like BFC'ing it), my feeling is that other people should feel free to
make other fixes to it.

One thing that makes this difficult is that PT userids don't provide
email information.  However, most part authors also post on lugnet, so
you can typically get email addresses by searching in these newsgroups.

Authors, if you are open to anyone making changes to your parts,
especially if you plan on not working on a file any more, *please* put
note this when you submit the part.  A simple 'anyone can make changes
to this part' or 'I've done all I can with it, anyone else is welcome to
work on it' is all that's needed.

steve would you please add a feature to the PT, which will allow the authors to
reply to review-comments. today there is only one-way-discussion. we simply
don't have voice. I don't think that it is fair, that the only way we can reply
is resubmitting the code, overturning all the votes (a horror thinking that this
happens because, the reviewer is wrong - the reviewer not the author).

I've been thinking about a couple of communication features for the PT.
One would be a method to send email to other PT users, without having to
know their email address.  This feature would *only* be available to PT
users, not to the general public.

The second idea was to allow threaded discussion to follow from files,
submissions, and reviews.  I'm not sure how that would work, and it
might get messy.

I feel both of these ideas are good, but I also feel they should be
developed in the new postNUKE-based ldraw.org website that we'll be
moving to shortly.

(I'm awfully sorry about the tone of this post, but it had to be said, the way
it has been said)

I understand your frustration.

The ONLY fix I will apply to a part not already submitted as a fix would be to
slightly adjust the part position.  I feel that small and minor errors can be
fixed by anyone and would only fly off the handle (ok, I don't fly off the
handle but others do) if someone submitted a major change to my part.  In fact I
would be not at all be bothered if someone fixed some minor error in my code,
after all they know where it is.

Actually, I would consider adjusting the part position to be a *major*
change to a part, because it affects virtually every line in the part
file.

That being said,  I think that this rant should have been privately Emailed to
the people in question (Myself and Steffen) and not posted here.

That may have been more appropriate in this case, but balancing group
effort with individual ownership is an on-going challenge for this team.
:)  So it may have been a good thing to air it publically.  Especially
since Willy didn't name names, or even say what part(s) he was angry
about.

Steve