 CAD / Development / 9059
Re: A Plea from a greenhorn (Re: WOULD YOU PLEASE...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 07:45:57 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, John Riley wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Orion Pobursky wrote:

   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
   ...yes, would you please ask PERMISSION before you mess up my code! Yes I’m angry, but I’m so sick!

I agree, it is a little frustrating. I’m still a fledgeling author, and I need to learn what I’m doing wrong. Having somebody come through and make these edits before I get a chance to look is not making me a better author. I need to be able to look at my mistakes and correct them, and be able to see what the reviewers are seeing so I can learn from them. If somebody is going to make the corrections, there is no incentive for me to go back and look, and thus I do not improve.

So far, the only edits I haven’t minded are the little nuances of the part names (and actually, I can’t find a reference on this, on how many spaces are to be around digits in brick dimensions. If someone could post on this topic, I’d appreciate it). Anything dealing with the actual appearance of the piece, I would rather do myself. I’m willing to accept just about any criticism; but I’m not keen on letting others do my work.

Sometimes parts go through large overhauls. For me, my second original piece (non pattern variation) is 33089 At first, I modeled this piece without knowing how to use many of the more exotic primitives, and without figuring out how to skew primitives. That first file was a 54kB monster. But my first reviewer (Donald Sutter, thanks!) was kind to answer my questions about the reviews, and I learned a lot from our email conversations, much more than the 2 or 3 sentences that are typically posted with the review. The file is down to a manageable 30kB, after I got the knack of creating primitives, skewing, and working with the truncated cylinders.

Now if somebody just went in and fixed those trivial changes, right before I did the major overhaul, that trivial error could still be present. And then we get the same cycle over again. It’s important that the author goes back and makes the fix, in case he/she is in process of overhauling the file. I’m only going to catch errors if I see holds on parts.

That said, I’m extremely grateful to those reviewers who took the time to email me or responded to my email (Steve Bliss, Chris Dee, Paul Easter & Donald Sutter). Thanks, guys. I’m sure more names will be added to this list in the future.

Tenderfoot Riley

Ok, after this thread and some off Lugnet discussion, I’ve come to a firm opinion.

I will refrain from ANY part modfications on non Official Library parts and then subsequent posting on the PT. I will modify parts and Email them to the authors (or post them here on Lugnet if I can’t find the author’s Email). If after a few weeks or longer, the author doesn’t reply or in some way make known that he/she is aware of the fix, I will post the fix to the PT.

Will all accept this as standard?

--Orion