 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4296
Re: New Part: (needs Number) - Baseplate 32 x 32 Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 21:49:44 GMT

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Willy Tschager wrote:

you can spot a colored area on the big crater ground. this means that I
have to split the hill in at least 2 subpart. but there is more. looking
at:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6190/6190-01.html

it seams that the big crater wall is colored with a darker blue than the
rest and I bet the hill isn't kept in an uniform light-blue, but has
shades of blue. now which triangle belongs to which shade of color? just
to split the hill from the rest makes non sense 'cos later you would
have to split it up again. your demand is reasonable, but it would
require a lot of work and time and last but not least I hesitate doing
it 'cos I don't own the original part. my part-policy is to not model
parts I can't measure, touch, having a close look (guys I'm driven to
perfection ;-)

a solution could be to be less accurate (can we really live with that?)
and keep the hill in a uniform color and put just the big crater ground
into a separate subpart. at this point we would have:

the main part (****.dat) containing the baseplate and studs.

and

subpart a (s\****a.dat) containing the hill (level 0 - 14) + small
crater, without the big crater ground subpart b (s\****b.dat) containing
the big crater ground

the 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave version would require a totally new main
part 'cos the top surface has to be remodeled according to the color and
a substitute for subpart b.

now, do I have to separate the big crater wall from the hill? could you
or somebody else upload a picture of the original part. taken from
above, with a long lense: 120 mm (hires please - file size doesn't
matter) and send me the link?

last question: where shall I put the big crater edges? both in subpart a?

There's a fairly clear picture in Ralf Herbers's baseplate reference

Note that since this version has studs inside the craters, it would
technically be a part variation with pattern, not just a patterned version
of the part. . .

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/