 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4295
Re: New Part: (needs Number) - Baseplate 32 x 32 Craters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 09:57:27 GMT

hi don,

Also, perhaps the hilly area itself should be made into a subpart.  That
might make it easier to add the crater studs and the painted studs
and flat area of the 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave version of this part.

hmm ... the 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave version uses dithers colors which
have to go into a subfile anyway. so we would have a sub-subfile.
please consider also that most of the paint covers the flat area which
has to be remodelled. it doesn't make no sense to me, split the hill and
add later splitted files for the dithered colors the flat area and
finally the studs.

I'm not sure what you mean about the sub-subfile, but I suppose it
doesn't really matter.  I dug out the shark baseplate and it turns out
even the hill is painted.  Is that what you're talking about with the
sub-subfile?

that's the point. I don't own that baseplate, but having a look at:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6190/6190-19.html

you can spot a colored area on the big crater ground. this means that I have to split the hill in
at least 2 subpart. but there is more. looking at:

http://library.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6190/6190-01.html

it seams that the big crater wall is colored with a darker blue than the rest and I bet the hill
isn't kept in an uniform light-blue, but has shades of blue. now which triangle belongs to which
shade of color? just to split the hill from the rest makes non sense 'cos later you would have to split it
up again. your demand is reasonable, but it would require a lot of work and time and last but
not least I hesitate doing it 'cos I don't own the original part. my part-policy is to not model
parts I can't measure, touch, having a close look (guys I'm driven to perfection ;-)

a solution could be to be less accurate (can we really live with that?) and keep the hill in a
uniform color and put just the big crater ground into a separate subpart. at this point we would
have:

the main part (****.dat) containing the baseplate and studs.

and

subpart a (s\****a.dat) containing the hill (level 0 - 14) + small crater, without the big crater
ground
subpart b (s\****b.dat) containing the big crater ground

the 6190 Shark's Crystal Cave version would require a totally new main part 'cos the top surface has to be remodeled according to
the color and a substitute for subpart b.

now, do I have to separate the big crater wall from the hill? could you or somebody else
upload a picture of the original part. taken from above, with a long lense: 120 mm (hires please
- file size doesn't matter) and send me the link?

last question: where shall I put the big crater edges? both in subpart a?

willy