 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4180
  Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

Looking at some of the files generated using the new curve generator LDDesignPad plugin by Orion (as well as files generated by the EMacs macro it is based on), I noticed a problem when displaying with LDView (which might also effect L3P output). (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) This sounds like a good idea to me, except for one thing: the 0 LDRAW_ORG lines are generated at release-time by the release script. Every type listed is determined by other data in the file, or about the file -- parts are in the /parts (...) (22 years ago, 23-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) I think it would be reasonable to consider segments as primitives. Move them to the P folder. Then they will not be shrunk. End pieces are still considered as parts. I don't know how the curve generator works, but if it generates a new (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) Actually, the part mentioned was in the Parts directory (it is an official part), so it would presumably be shrunk by L3P. As for the rest, I agree that making them primitives makes sense, but I'm not sure the part authors will agree. I guess (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) Doing so would cause a problem with LeoCad which doesn't display primitives not included in a part. This is the case with flexible axles (created form primitives), they have to be created as part, then imported as new part in LeoCad library... (...) (22 years ago, 24-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) These files don't work as primitives. A primitive file should be either a geometric construction (like an arc, disc, cylinder, etc) or a lego-centric feature that is likely to be reused among a large number of different files (like studs, (...) (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) Can the hose segments go in the S folder with the flex-axle subparts? Would that solve the shrinkage problem? Don (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) Oh, I meant the first one *I* mentioned, not the 751.dat :-) (...) Well, after second thoughts and various comments from you guys, I think we should keep segments in PARTS. (...) Yup, I agree, that is the solution. The curve generator should (...) (22 years ago, 26-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) Actually, by the guidelines for parts I posted, the flex-axle subparts should be in the parts directory. Moving the hose segments to parts/s/ would prevent the shrinkage problem, but I think there are better solutions. Steve (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) No, moving the hose segments to parts/s/ would NOT prevent the shrinkage problem. It doesn't matter whether a part is located in PARTS or PARTS/S, it is still considered as a part. Whenever a (sub-)part is referenced from another part, it is (...) (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)

(...) [snip] (...) I agree, I did that with the hoses on my loco (URL) and it seems the best solution. ROSCO (22 years ago, 27-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev)