 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4180
4179  |  4181
Subject:
Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:41:07 GMT

Looking at some of the files generated using the new curve generator
LDDesignPad plugin by Orion (as well as files generated by the EMacs macro
it is based on), I noticed a problem when displaying with LDView (which
might also effect L3P output).

The problem is that the segment files in the parts library are treated as
parts, and therefore get shrunk when seams are enabled.  This turns the nice
smoothly curved tubes into a bunch of segments with tiny gaps between them.
I want to make it so that LDView recognizes these files and doesn't shrink them.

So what is the best way to determine that a part is actually only a segment?
Do these files all currently contain some common element that identifies
them as segmented parts?  Looking at 751.dat, I see that the CATEGORY is set
to Hose.  Will all segmented parts be in the Hose category?  (I would think
not, but I'm not sure.)  It also has flexible as one of its KEYWORDs.  Will
all segmented parts have this?  I also need to know the reverse: will there
be anything in the Hose CATEGORY that ISN'T a segmented part?  Will the
flexible KEYWORD ever be used for a non-segmented part?

I personally feel that the best answer would be to create a new type for the
0 LDRAW_ORG and 0 Unofficial specifiers.  I don't think any of the current
ones (listed here: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=7283) are appropriate
for segment parts.  The main problem with this is that it requires all
existing segmented parts to be updated.  The 751.dat file currently uses the
old 0 Official LCad statement instead of the new 0 LDRAW_ORG statement, for
example.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)