 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4182
Re: Segmented parts (ie hoses and flex tubes)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 02:29:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Travis Cobbs writes:
Looking at some of the files generated using the new curve generator
LDDesignPad plugin by Orion (as well as files generated by the EMacs macro
it is based on), I noticed a problem when displaying with LDView (which
might also effect L3P output).

The problem is that the segment files in the parts library are treated as
parts, and therefore get shrunk when seams are enabled.  This turns the nice
smoothly curved tubes into a bunch of segments with tiny gaps between them.
I want to make it so that LDView recognizes these files and doesn't shrink them.

So what is the best way to determine that a part is actually only a segment?

I think it would be reasonable to consider segments as primitives.
Move them to the P folder. Then they will not be shrunk.
End pieces are still considered as parts.

I don't know how the curve generator works, but if it generates a new complete part
which references both the end pieces and the segments in between,
AND "marks" the part as a part-type ("0 Unofficial Part") then the whole part
will get shrunk nicely as a union.

If, on the other hand, the curve generator simply generates an end piece, some segments
and another end piece, then the end pieces will get shrunk, but not the segments.
When seams are enabled, it is fair to shrink the end pieces, but depending on the
curve generator, a small gap may occur between the end piece and the first segment.
/Lars
PS. L3P currently does not recognize "0 Unofficial Part", only files from the PARTS folder
are considered parts. But I'm likely to change that!
(i.e. currently a part like the first one mentioned above will not be shrunk at all)