 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 4044
Re: Happy (U.S.) Independence Day!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 21:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Eduardo Vazquez Harte writes:
there was never a U.S flag
in LEGO neither a Spainsh one or Ireland one

I have set 575, Coast Guard Station, and it came with a US flag:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/575
The flag piece was a plastic rectangle attached to a post with a 1x1
cylinder at the bottom (all white).  Then there was a US flag sticker that
you put on the plastic rectangle.  If you read the notes people wrote for
that Lugnet guide page, someone says theirs came with a Canadian flag.  I
would speculate that a different flag sticker was included depending on what
country the set was being sold in.

Oh, I've also got a football/soccer team set that has stickers for several
different country uniforms that you can put on the minifig torsos.  Not
quite the same, I suppose, but another set with national identities.

As others have noted there is a US flag in set 367/565, the moon landing set.
I see one in this set:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/372_1

1592 aparently came with different flags in different countries.
The one in the Lugnet guide has a Dutch flag:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1592
Here's one with a UK flag:
http://www.chutspe.de/brickset/1592.jpg

Anyway, while they may not do it today, it seems as if the practice in the
'70s and '80s was to include national flags that varied from country to country.

Oh, and if you type "flag" in the Lugnet guide search you find the following:
South Africa (Is this one real?  It looks very odd):
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1869
Flag packs with several countries:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/492_2
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/493_2