 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 3774
Re: when to use "~" for title of subfile...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:13:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Franklin W. Cain wrote:

OK.  In that case, what kind of part file would /not/ need to be
displayed (in a listing of general parts)?  I can't think of any
right off the top of my head.

Parts that are 'subparts', in the sense that they always appear as a
segment of a more complex part.  A simple example is the "Car Steering
Wheel" - 3829.  It's actually three files:

3829.DAT      Car Steering Wheel
3829B.DAT     ~Car Steering Wheel
3829A.DAT     ~Car Steering Wheel Stand
(note that the file names are somewhat archaic)

Most modelers don't mess with the two halves of the assembly, they just
want to add steering wheels to their cars.  So the sub-parts can be
hidden from the general parts list (although it'd be nice if software
let the user 'drill into' composite parts).

Other examples: the 3-wheel motorcycle, the 2x2x11 round pillar, various
hoses, some windows, the 9V Technic motor.

(Also, in light of your above statement, please consider all
tildes removed from the suggested new titles in this post:
"http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=3754")

Alrighty.

Steve