 CAD / 9780
9779  |  9781
Subject:
Significance of stud orientation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 06:43:00 GMT

Hey,
I have a question about the significance of stud orientation.
Many parts created before stud logos were introduced (and some
parts even created afterwards) have different orientation
compared to the real part. (I know back then the orientation
of the studs wasn't that important, it whas a plain stud anyway ;-)
But now you can see the logos on the studs at a wrong orientation
or even mirrored! (Several parts which have a 'left' and 'right'
version, like doors and wings have one part modelled and the other
revering to the first with a mirroring matrix).
I noticed this when I created the red cross car doors (1 x 3 x 1,
parts 3821p66 and 3822p66). I first used the existing method
by creating 3822p66 and have 3821p66 using the mirrored 3822p66.
These parts have been officialized now (one or two part updates
ago).
Some patterns can not be mirrored, like the fire logo pattern or
the word 'POLICE', so both doors have to be created seperately.
Therefore I created two subparts s\3822s01.dat and s\3821s01.dat
(each with correct stud orientation) and used these for three
sets of patterned cardoors:
- red cross
- fire logo (*)
- shell logo

(* I just know someone else has made the fire logo cardoors,
so I consider my parts as practice for myself ;-)

Since the amount of available cardoors is quite small, the
parts can easily be converted to use the new subparts and
have the studs in correct orientation.

Writing this message, I got yet another idea: create one subpart
for the door without frontface (as the ones I mentioned) and
without the stud, and have the actual parts contain the studs and
the pattern.

I'dd like to know if it's worth to make these changes and if
the orientation of the studs is important now.

Niels