 CAD / 9787
Re: Significance of stud orientation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:49:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp writes:
Hey,
I have a question about the significance of stud orientation.
Many parts created before stud logos were introduced (and some
parts even created afterwards) have different orientation
compared to the real part. (I know back then the orientation
of the studs wasn't that important, it whas a plain stud anyway ;-)
But now you can see the logos on the studs at a wrong orientation
or even mirrored! (Several parts which have a 'left' and 'right'
version, like doors and wings have one part modelled and the other
revering to the first with a mirroring matrix).

Perhaps when authors go back to BFC old parts, they should also correct the
stud orientations.  I've made a conscious effort to do new parts with
correct stud orientations, but as you say later, it may not be worth the effort.

Since the amount of available cardoors is quite small, the
parts can easily be converted to use the new subparts and
have the studs in correct orientation.

Writing this message, I got yet another idea: create one subpart
for the door without frontface (as the ones I mentioned) and
without the stud, and have the actual parts contain the studs and
the pattern.

3822s01 is in the Parts Tracker and is exactly as you stated:  Steve Bliss
and Thomas Burger had the same idea of having a subfile with a faceless,
studless door.  Not many of the doors use this subfile yet, but it certainly
is useful for those doors where mirroring is not an option (fire, police,
etc).  Only the subfile would need to be inverted (i.e.  3821s01 would just
be an inverted version of 3822s01, so there was no need for 3821s01).  A new
version of 3822 and 3821 are being created this way.

I'd agree that I'd like some sort of consensus when it comes to stud
orientation.  It's not hard to check:  LDView is useful for this.
Otherwise, I won't bother with it in the future.

Also, for the guys in charge of the Parts Tracker, I noticed while
downloading the unofficial files via the zip file, they stop at 3/13/03.
Does that mean all parts & reviews posted after 3/13 need to be resubmittited?

John