 CAD / 9602
Re: A call to membership!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:21:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Paul Gyugyi writes:
I'd love to be on the SC.
As one of the first to reverse engineer and write up the .DAT syntax (using
Lexx/Yacc), and also one of the first one to extend the syntax -- a
standards committe would have helped back then :). The MLCad extensions look
great, and I think a centralized list of commands would be very helpful.
There's always new tools springing up, and it would help the new tool
authors to have a list of statements and documented functionality.  Also it
helps the model writers to have some confidence that the commands will be
supported on all platforms. I used the "rotation step" instruction recently
when doing my mini-star-destroyer (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=37365 ), but when I went to
generate some bitmaps in LDLite I was annoyed that those instructions were
not supported (gotta talk to myself about that...).

Paul,
  As the author of LDLite, I'd say you are well qualified to be on the SC.
I'm very glad you are interested.

  When I started to write LPub, I had to reverse engineer ROTSTEP so I could
support it in LPub.  At the same time I asked Michael for a definition of
ROTSTEP.  He was kind enough to provide this.

  When I started to write LSynth (a tool for synthesizing bendable parts), I
wanted to be able to have the synthesis description in the LDraw file, so
that the user didn't have to manualy transfer information from DAT file to a
seperate application, synthesize and bring the parts back.  I had no idea on
how to do this in a way that was LDraw community friendly.  The only input I
got was from Steve Bliss who said "make sure you can use the files with
LDraw and LEdit".  While I'm find with those tools being a benchmark, I much
prefer a document that would have described how to do that, rather than
derive it experimentally.

  These two experiences are what got me interested in an LDraw specification
that included the original LDraw description as defined by James Jessiman,
and then identify all the extensions that have been made to the language by
the community since.

The community has historically been really good about adopting new syntax
and commands, and I think a formal standard would make it easier for people
to continue doing that.

I agree.  We are very close to being able to rival the building instruction
quality and complexity of the gold standard (LEGO's building instructions).

I've got a bunch of things I want to add to LPub to allow this to happen,
but I'd like to do it in a considerate fashion with more guidance than I've
so far with LPub.  FYI, I'm interested in having LPub interface with LDLite
to render building instruction images (it gives people more choices,
especially in terms of speed.)

-gyug

Kevin

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
Let it be known that membership on the LDraw Standard committe is now open.
All those who wish to apply reply.  So far we have 3 applicants:

Orion Pobursky
Kevin Clague
Larry Pieniazek

and one possible applicant

Steve Bliss

We're basically looking for about 1 to 3 more members.

-Orion