 CAD / 9613
9612  |  9614
Subject:
Standards Body Thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:26:31 GMT

Hi Chris -

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee writes:
If the ToR for this committee will include Part Naming standards, as well as
LDraw language standards, then I believe either Steve Bliss or I needs to be
included.

I agree that one of you should be involved on this committee/board.

Geography may play a part here, depending on how real-time you intend the
discussions to be, as I'm usually in the UK, and everyone else seems to be
in the US. Personally, I think more progress is made in real-time verbal
mode than in sequential newsgroup mode. Real-time chat-room mode might be a
good compromise, but newsgroup mode could be more productive with good
moderation to curtail dead-end topics, and keep the focus narrow.

I'm a fan of real-time chat or phone, and while I won't be participating as
a member of the board, encourage the members to use such methods.

So, I guess I'm volunteering if Steve cannot or does not join and the
timezone issues can be resolved.

Ok. Steve hasn't replied in public to any of the previous thread yet that
I've seen.

Right now, I'm having a few conversations trying to get an idea for the
procedure to establish this body and for it to prepetuate itself. Once those
thoughts are clearer, I think a post for discussion on those procedures and
a call for broader consensus is appropriate. That way, everyone here can
voice their support/concerns and the kinks can get worked out. If anyone has
specific thoughts on that procedure, please post them here or email me (the
former preferred, so all can see).

From what I understand, there are others working on spec documents such as
Orion with "1.0.0" and Kevin with the Meta-commands. These are drafts, and I
think they'll be posted when ready for others to look at and respond to.

Overall, it's moving forward. And we're not going at a break-neck pace like
we were posting this weekend ;-) That's good, we don't want to rush to any
decisions. I'm encouraged at the overall direction and attitude of the
community towards standardization. Let's all try not to make this too
bureaucratic, but at the same time organized enough to be effective.

-Tim