 CAD / 9597
Re: A call to membership!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 07:52:44 GMT

I'd love to be on the SC.
As one of the first to reverse engineer and write up the .DAT syntax (using
Lexx/Yacc), and also one of the first one to extend the syntax -- a
standards committe would have helped back then :). The MLCad extensions look
great, and I think a centralized list of commands would be very helpful.
There's always new tools springing up, and it would help the new tool
authors to have a list of statements and documented functionality.  Also it
helps the model writers to have some confidence that the commands will be
supported on all platforms. I used the "rotation step" instruction recently
when doing my mini-star-destroyer (
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=37365 ), but when I went to
generate some bitmaps in LDLite I was annoyed that those instructions were
not supported (gotta talk to myself about that...).

The community has historically been really good about adopting new syntax
and commands, and I think a formal standard would make it easier for people
to continue doing that.

-gyug

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
Let it be known that membership on the LDraw Standard committe is now open.
All those who wish to apply reply.  So far we have 3 applicants:

Orion Pobursky
Kevin Clague
Larry Pieniazek

and one possible applicant

Steve Bliss

We're basically looking for about 1 to 3 more members.

-Orion