 CAD / 9457
  Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

hi folks, after ages I've got a new computer (waiting three days 'til my radiocity got rendered has become unbearable ;-) and reinstalled all my favourite lego-cad-progs. as usual it was a painstaking process: unzip the original ldraw-package, the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager writes: <Snip> Here, Here! I'm a casual user of the LDraw line, using MLCad to look at different MOCs around the community. But, I'm constantly plagued by "Part Number ... Not Found! Continue Loading?" An auto updater, (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

Hi Willy - (...) Yes, getting started can be difficult for some new users. We've tried to put up clear instructions, but some still struggle with that. There should be a solution - but there's other issues at play too. See below. (...) This is a (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

More commonly, "Hear, hear." In this media, maybe it should be, "Read, read." To more closely match the olde English, maybe, "Lo, lo," which means "Look, look." In whichever form it is stated, however, I must admit to strong agreement with the (...) (21 years ago, 24-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

[trimmed newsgroup header to just lugnet.cad.dev] (...) I think it would be very cool if editors/renderers would automatically grab parts from the 'net. The files have been available from the website for a couple of years now. Steve (21 years ago, 26-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

hi steve, (...) ??? ... does it mean it just depends on the modeller? how about all this copyright-stuff tim is talking about? (I still try to figure out the difference between downloading a zip-file with all the parts or the single parts and the (...) (21 years ago, 26-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

(...) Basically yes. > how about all this (...) I think there still are some details about the license for the parts library which aren't finalised, but Steve knows more about that. (...) That depends on what you mean. The trick of doing it with a (...) (21 years ago, 27-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

(...) Someone recently suggested to me a parts updater DLL we could have for download at LDraw.org, to have one standard parts downloader for modeler programs, and so programmers don't have to re-invent the wheel. I know this would apply to Windows (...) (21 years ago, 27-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

(...) I don't like making "standards" that only work for products from one company. But nothing prevents somebody from implementing a protocol as a DLL for Windows - or as an Open Source library that anybody can use. But first we should agree on a (...) (21 years ago, 28-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?

(...) The easiest way would be a list of updates for example a simple text file containing the package names and date of release. This way an application can check when it last downloaded an update and incrementally load newer updates or even (...) (21 years ago, 1-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)