 CAD / 9463
Re: Download parts automatically with your preferred modeller?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:31:42 GMT

Hi Willy -

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager writes:
I was wondering if this couldn't made a little bit easier? now, I know exactly where everything has to go, but these days I'm also
assisting a friend of mine to get a stable lego-cad-environment on his machine. andrea doesn't know
much about computer and it is amazing how people struggle with things, which have become naturally for me. this becomes true
especially for all the ldraw0.97-updates-PT-stuff.

Yes, getting started can be difficult for some new users. We've tried to put
up clear instructions, but some still struggle with that. There should be a
solution - but there's other issues at play too. See below.

this has might be questioned before, discussed over and over again and people are already working on this? anyway, may question is:
couldn't this whole install/updating process done automatically? I imagine a second ldraw-database, containing all the official
files
(including the original ldraw-package - basically a mirror of the part-library we have on our harddisks) with your modeller-prog
going online, downloading them in the correct folder and creating an updated parts.lst. there could be an option to download the
unofficial files as well or configure the prog in order to check the site on a regular basis. my anti-virus-prog does it this way
and saves me a lot of time and effort.

This is a great idea, and has been discussed before. Steve Bliss has
informed me of some licensing and copyright issues with the original LDraw
parts, which need to be worked out with the Jessiman family.

I'd like to see parts distributed via specific editors (ie. MLCad,
BrickDraw3D), but at the same time would like to impose some standards on
how the parts are treated. They should be clearly identified as the "LDraw
Parts Library" freely available at www.ldraw.org, and not specific to the
editor being used.

this could also speed things up for the update-releases. as soon as a part gets certified the admins move it to the official-db
ready
for download. you get a model containing unknown parts 'cos they are unofficial or have been updated? your modeller connects to the
db and does the job for you.

The parts library issue really is something Steve should work with. I think
we'll wait to make a major change to the strucutre of parts distribution
until some 'future of LDraw' stuff has been ironed out. I'm trying to juggle
a bunch of things at once, including a few LDraw-related and non-LDraw
related projects, some higher-level discussions on various LEGO and LDraw
topics, etc. Steve and I have talked about this need quite a bit lately, so
rest assured we've got it in mind. I don't think it will happen right away,
though. I don't mean to delay the process, just I've got so much going on
regarding LDraw talks I've gotta organize it all and tackle projects in a
logical order.

-Tim