 CAD / 9456
  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

Hi, With all due respect, a big problem that I see here is that 3dWin is a shareware application. Personally, if I do not pay for the likes of Ldraw, MLcad, Lpub, POV or Blender, there is no way I am going to even consider paying for a format (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) Hi Miguel - You bring up a good point. I wonder, Darrell, if you could work with Thomas Baier to possibly have the to-from LDraw format part be free of charge, period? It wouldn't affect his market for cross-advanced 3D format conversions, (...) (21 years ago, 21-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) snip (...) Hi Miguel, I've been discussing this with your co-author Kevin Clauge about this as well (BTW, I'm enjoying your book very much!). Let me try to clarify my position if I can.. I'm not trying to say EVERYONE should be using 3DWin. (...) (21 years ago, 24-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) Hi Tim, First of all, the demo version is free. With it, you can convert as many files as you want (you just have to do them one at a time, and you don't get the pretty preview images). It's up to your conscience whether you decide to upgrade (...) (21 years ago, 24-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) Have you tried MAX2DAT at all? (...) Have you tried DAT2DXF for this? (...) I too would like a 2 way program as using 2 different progs is time consuming and inaccurate. (Hmm... sounds like a project I could work on) -Orion (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) No, but this is one of the good things about posting onto Lugnet - I'm learning about all of these other translators. I guess the final test is: Can the parts authored in XX software and converted through YY converter be accepted as official (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) The short answer to this question is, in most cases, yes The long answer is most converters do not have significant enough primitive detection to submit a part immediately after conversion. For example, STL2DAT detects cylinders, sort of, but (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

Hi Darrell, My point was that asking people to help someone develop their commercial software is somewhat of a bold proposition. However, I did not know that 3Dwin had a free version with batch-convert de-activated and that is something worth (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) Excellent point, and one I hadn't considered. I suppose I can just out and out ask him if he minds AFOL using the demo version only, especially since they would be helping him debug the product. He's aware that most LDraw related software is (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Converting AutoCAD/3D Studio/etc. to .dat with 3DWin

(...) Sorry to be the major poster on my own thread! ]-( This doesn't really have anything to do with CAD-DAT conversion, but I'll offer it up anyway to bump the topic! LOL I was writing a message to Thomas about the latest mods we made to some (...) (21 years ago, 27-Feb-03, to lugnet.cad)