 CAD / 7570
Re: OT: LEGO+Sploids+KNEX Models w/MCLAD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 17:14:54 GMT

[trimmed .cad.mlcad from newsgroup list]

In lugnet.cad, Xanthra47 wrote:

I know it's off topic, but for those that didn't know, one can use LDRAW or
MLCAD to make models using Knex(R) pieces, LEGO(R), and Sploids(R).  Sploids
let one build with and interconnect LEGO and Knex.  I just ordered some
Sploids, but I noticed that the website (http://www.sploids.com) had DAT
files of the parts.  I'm still trying to figure out a way to use the sploids
effectively, but I made some test renderings of a modular space truss made
of Knex elements and it came out kinda' neat looking.  Please check it out
here : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=13655

Those Sploids are a cool idea.  Too bad the web site is so lame. :(

Those DAT files are kind of a mess.  Besides all going into one
directory, they aren't marked as to what files are usable parts, and
which are subfiles.  Even worse, they're buggy. :(

In a different message, Jason added more detail:

This single directory zip file doesn't seem to be a problem for MLCAD at
least.  I just made a new sub-directories under /PARTS and called them  KNex
& Sploids.  I didn't want them to show up in the parts listing so this works
well for me.  I can't really speak to brand awareness, but I don't recall
any restrictions on the use of the LDRAW format.  I could be wrong, though.
I should probably ask how to best present the library of Contrux(r) parts I
just started making in LDRAW format... Any ideas, anybody ?

I like the idea of subdirectories under /parts/ (and /p/, if needed).
It's neat and tidy.  But it's something of a pain for users; they have
to enter the subdirectory name on every other-brand part they use.

What we really need is configurable search-paths in our software.  I
know I would *love* to be able to tell programs to look for
ldraw-libraries in multiple locations; when I'm dealing with new parts,
it'd be keen to have a setting like:
LDRAW-SEARCH-PATH=c:\ldraw.new\;c:\ldraw\

Similarly, for modeling with LDraw, K'nex and Sploids, you'd need a
setting like:
LDRAW-SEARCH-PATH=c:\toys\ldraw\;c:\toys\knex;c:\toys\sploids\
... so the rendering program would know to look in all those locations
for ldraw-libraries.

Oops, sorry - I'm rambling again.

Steve