 CAD / 7571
Re: P and Parts directory WHY?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:26:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Why does Ldraw have a P and Parts directory?  Furthermore why does the P
have a 48 sub-directory and the Parts have a S sub-directory?  I'm just
curious as to the need for all these directories and sub-directories?  What
happens find I just lump all the files under PARTS?

Thanks
Ahui

I felt sure that this info should be in the FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find
it easily.

The main reason is historical - it is the way that James organised the files
for the original LDraw/LEdit programs. But it does serve to segregate DAT files
with different scopes and purposes.

ldraw\parts        - one file for each unique part
ldraw\p            - highly re-used primitives (circular parts are 16-agons)
ldraw\p\48         - 48-agon versions of some circular parts in ldraw\p
ldraw\parts\s      - subparts :
- subparts are necessary for two reasons
      1) dithered colour patterns due to an LDraw limitation - dithered colours
are only rendered by LDraw when specified on a type 1 line
      2) shells for frequently patterned parts (eg 973s01) to ease maintenance
and reduce duplication of common code
- subparts are advisable for no-so-highly re-used part elements, but there has
been some philosophical discussion recently on when to use subparts - see
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=6944

In theory you could put ldraw\p files in ldraw\parts, but the I believe the
intention is for the ldraw\parts directory to also act as a catalog of known
parts.

You cannot combine files from ldraw\p and ldraw\p\48 as these are different
resolution versions of the same named primitive - the names deliberately clash.

You cannot put ldraw\parts\s files in ldraw\parts. They will not be found
because the reference in the main part dat file will be of the form

1 colour x y z a b c d e f g h i s\<subpartname>.dat

Chris