 CAD / 7569
Re: P and Parts directory WHY?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:18:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Why does Ldraw have a P and Parts directory?

\parts\ is for files which represent actual lego elements.
\p\ is for objects (called "primitives", even though they are really macros)
which are broadly useful in constructing parts.

Furthermore why does the P
have a 48 sub-directory and the Parts have a S sub-directory?

\p\48\ is for primitives with greater resolution/detail than the standard
primitives.  By having a separate directory, we've (somewhat) escaped the
8.3 filename limitation.  And we can use common filenames for the regular
and hi-res versions of primitives.  Which makes it easier to understand what
a file does, just by looking at the name.

\parts\s\ is for files that are useful in only a small number of part files
(most often, a subpart is used only by a single part file).

I'm just
curious as to the need for all these directories and sub-directories?

They are basically a way of organizing the 2000+ files in the parts library.

What
happens find I just lump all the files under PARTS?

A lot of parts would work just fine.

But parts which use any subfiles from \parts\s\ or \p\48\ would not work
correctly.

Steve