 CAD / 734
Re: Fun with hoses continued
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 14:10:25 GMT

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 19:00:56 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:

Ah yes, that too.  And the two yellow tools that go into the clips on the
very back.  And I guess technically, the minifig.  :)

Hmm.  There were part-files for those tools then.  There's still no BT1
minifig.  We could do a plain black torso, or a BT2 minifig.

When was LDraw first released?  This must've been right around that time...

I don't remember.  The filedates in the download archive go back to
mid-1996.

But James had LDraw-stuff around for some time before he released it as
a package.  If I understand correctly, he started doing LDraw just so he
could make images for his parts-reference webpages.

It's amazing how many elements James modeled all by himself.

It is amazing. A lot of them were rectangular bricks and plates, but a
lot of them weren't.  And even the simple parts take some amount of time
to model.  A couple hours per part is not an unreasonable estimate.
I've run through some in just a few minutes, but others have taken days.

Two quick stats:  the final releases of LDraw parts brought the library
up to 693 parts.  After applying all the L-CAD releases, there are 1346
files.  A certain number of those 1346 are parts that were moved to a
new, more correct, number, but even so, the L-CAD part authors have
significantly increased the size of the LDraw parts library.

BTW, looking at the date on the first scrawling, it seems that the model
is coming up on its 10th anniversary in a little less than 3 months.  Any
takers on finishing the work James started on it and also rendering it in
POV?

I'd be honored to, if no one else has been pre-honored.

Hasn't been worked on since James took a first shot at it in early December,
1995...

OK.  I'll work on recreating the DAT, then.

...  I think it was Jeff
Thompson who first came up with a "liquids" method for distinguishing
between the two transparent yellows:

  - Beer yellow          (regular traditional transparent yellow)
  - Alien vomit yellow   (neon/chartreuse/antifreeze yellow-green)

You now, I like the terms BURP and CRAPP, but "Alien vomit yellow" is
one I'll pass on using myself.

Steve