 CAD / 7293
Re: LDraw Tutorial Categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:25:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Jeremy H. Sproat's RNDR 102 POV's Camera

FYI, this has been put on hold pending this and other developments.

Aslo modified the MODL tutorials. For the time being the numbers are all
going to be messed up until I figure out a system.  I'm thinking of just
doing them incremental.

Which probably means that there will be a Great Rearranging of Filenames in
the future.  Meaning someone will have to rename all the HTML files, rename
all the image files, re-edit the HTML files to reflect the image filename
changes, rename all the .AVI files, rename all the POV source files, oops
forgot to re-edit the HTML files to reflect *those* filename changes...  An
EXCELLENT reason for each tutorial to get its own directory!  :-,

But on the other hand and 201 should be on the same
line as a 101?  What do people think about this.  If we do them
101,102,103... then 201 shoudl be about the same topic as 101 but for more
advance?  thoughs....

In my school, CSIS 101 was Intro to the Computer For Dummy Books, while CSIS
201 was Intro to Object-Oriented Programming.  They're quite different in
terms of level.  They're both introductory classes, sure, but anyone and
their dog could take 101 while 201 required a much higher level of prior
understanding.

I'm not sure what that would mean in regards to the tutorial categorization
system, though.  Perhaps 101, 102, etc. are increasing levels of skill in
the same sub-category; while 201, 202, etc. may represent incresingly
skillful levels in a more diverse sub-category?

I'm thinking, for example, RNDR 1XX would cover basic L3P and L3PAO topics
(like how to launch the program) while RNDR 2XX covers basic L3P / POV code
constructs (e.g. camera) and so on until RNDR 9XX covers re-writing LGEO
parts and implementing Renderman patches to do some really funky stuff...

Incidentally, my school eventually went to a 4-letter / 4-digit system, but
I dunno whether that would help us here or not...

Cheers,
- jsproat