 CAD / 7266
7265  |  7267
Subject:
LDraw Tutorial Categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 20:29:28 GMT

Hello all,
This has been discussed before and I just want everyone's feedback on this
to finalize it.  Tim after our discussion last night this is what I have
come up with for the tutorial section on Ldraw's site.  There are basiclly 5
distinct categories that I could come up with: Modeling, Rendering,
Animation, Part Creation, and Converting ldr to... The main force of the
tutorials will mostly likely focus on the 1st 3 categories.

In any case this is what I envision for labeling the tutorials

Animation   Ani 1xx (Beginners)
            Ani 2xx (Intermediate)
            Ani 3xx (Advance)

Rendering   Ren 1xx (Beginners)
            Ren 2xx (Intermediate)
            Ren 3xx (Advance)

Modeling    Mod 1xx  (Beginners)
            Mod 2xx  (Intermediate)
            Mod 3xx  (Advance)

Parts       Par 1xx  (Beginners)
Creation    Par 2xx  (Intermediate)
            Par 3xx  (Advance)

Converting  Con 1xx  (Beginners)
ldr to ...

The Beginner tutorials should be more a STEP-BY-STEP process or very
detailed explanations of the topic.  Think of the beginner's level as "LDraw
for dummines".  Anybody with basic computer and reading skills should be
able to do it.  The Intermerdiate level is more like your general tutorials
found on a lot of websites that explain how to do something but don't
provide all the steps.  While the Advance ones I think will end up being
articles more than tutorials on various topics in each category.  In any
case to give you all a feel of what I know is done and being worked on here
is a list of possible detailed ideas for each topic.  Please add more if you
feel that I missed something and also start thinking of which one YOU (yes,
YOU the person reading this post) can write up.

Ani 1xx
  Simple Movement  (Moving 1 object in 1 plane)  [DONE]
  Complex Movement (Moving camera; object is stationary) [DONE]
  Step Movement (Creating ani bldg instructions [DONE]

Ani 2xx
  Using Splines for movement of camera and/or objects
  POV Light Tricks to create the illusion of movement (being worked on)
  Adding sound to animations
     Sound editing
     Sound mixing

Ani 3xx
  Creating a short-film
  (This is probably NOT a tutorial but a documentary of how someone did it)
     Storyboarding  - Bldg the concept of the stroy
     Model Production - creating the models
     Pre-Rendering  - 1st drafts of models and scenes
     Rendering - creating the story
     Special Effects - Adding special effects
     Production - Bring it all together
     Packaging

For Ren 1xx
  Camera placement and commnads  (being worked on)
  Type of POV lights             (being worked on)
  Intro to POV - what is it
  Intro to basic POV windows and commands

For Ren 2xx
  Adding non-lego background to render
     Adding Skys (earth-like skies, star fields, galaxies, etc.)
     Add land (mountains, plains, hills, etc)
     Adding water (lakes, oceans, rain, etc.)
  (We would probably break this into Ren 2xx-I,II,III,IV etc. not sure yet)
  Adding glow effects using POV lights
  Adding effects using the 3rd party POV include libs.
     Chris Colfax's City Creator
     Chris Colfax's Water creator
  Bluring the image using multiple images with average
  Creating proffesional building instructions
  Using MEGA-pov (creates cartoon-like images)

For Ren 3xx
  Photoshop Tricks: Glow effects
  Photoshop Tricks: Inserting Background

For Mod 1xx
  Building your 1st model using a GUI editor (MLCad, LEOCad, etc...)
  Building model instructions

For Mod 2xx
  Creating sub-models (the MDP format)
  Creating large models
  Placement techniques for technic and mindstorm pieces
  (those axles in holes, 45 deg tilt, etc...)

For Mod 3xx
   ???

For Par 1xx
   How are parts created
   The parts format
   Creating a simple part (2x2 brick)

For Par 2xx
   Creating a weird-shaped part
   Part creation tips/tricks
   How are LGEO parts created

For Par 3xx
   ???

For Con 1xx
   Converting ldr to POV   [DONE]
   Converting ldr to ...

For the time being there is NO 'tutorial tracker' to determine who is doing
what.  So I suggest that we use this fourm for it.  Perhaps in a few weeks
we can add a page to ldraw.  I think a downloadable excel sheet with all the
topics and writers would be find as a starting point.  Tim if I maitain the
excel sheet you think it would be hard for you to create a download link for
it on your page?
-AHui