 CAD / 7292
Re: Hey everyone stop and check this new LDVIEW like app
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 07:04:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera writes:
Has anyone been able to get this programn to run?  I've downloaded all the
needed files but the jLug file gives me an error saying that the colors.ini
file can not be found in the e:\java\develop\jlug path.  The problem is that
I don't have a e:\... path on my pc....

I tend to avoid any Java3D stuff, since its performance is abysmally crummy.
And considering that it needs to peg the processor at 100% utilization (1)
to get that fast, you gotta wonder how slow it would be when you actually
want to do something else at the same time.

I think it's a great idea, I just don't think that the Java3D API
implementations are quite ready for prime time.  Especially when you
consider just how blazingly fast the original LDraw.exe is on today's
machines, without special video hardware acceleration, there's no reason
Java3D should *crawl*...

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  http://www.j3d.org/faq/speed.html#priority (2)
1.  100%?!  what the... holy--I mean... holy.. dang, man!  100%!!!