 CAD / 6268
Re: Rendering Datsville with POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:12:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Tore Eriksson <tore.eriksson@mbox325.swipnet.se> writes:

For example, to replace all bricks, plates, and tiles with boxes
where it was possible, helped cutting down the POVray rendering
time with 63% in my pilot model. The disadvantage of this method is
that I had to manually decide what parts could be replaced. It
takes some time...

Perhaps you could do this automatically by applying the technique to
every part for which the name only includes the words "brick", "plate"
or "tile"?  It must also include some kind of "2 x 4" notion, but if
it does not contain anything else, it is probably prone to
simplifying.

I didn't realize that simplifying could be so complicated. :o)

I have already made a program that suggests all bricks, plates, and tiles to
be replaced. Before it performs the replacing, the user has the chance to
deselect those parts that have visible studs or for any other reason should
not be replaced.

Sorry, I don't understand "2 x 4" notion.

Simplifying one of these elements could consist of removing the studs
and then calculate the bounding box.  If you replace the whole part
with this bounding box, you would end up with a lot of simplification.
For added realism, you could add the studs again to what's left of the
part, namely the bounding box.

That's a way to go. But that means we need three versions of the same part...
Like I said: simplifying is complicated.

Fredrik