 CAD / 6433
Re: About installing/Reinstalling Ldraw and about datville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 08:34:50 GMT

I rendered Town00.dat in 800x600. It took 7 minutes and 15 seconds.
Last night, I rendered 5 submodels + townpeep.dat at 640x480. It took 2
hours and 44 minutes. (Same combination at quality=0 took something like
20-30 seconds).

What I learned fom this is it seems like rendering time growns exponentially
compared to complexity of the model. (?)

I think a distant mountain, forest, or town could be built in 3-d but *very*
crudely simplified.

At this point, I'm stuck with trying to recreate the Datsville sky and
ground. It doesn't look that nice with total blackness all around...

/Tore

In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath writes:
Here's a question that may sound strange, but I'll explain why I'm asking it
at the bottom of this message.

Does anyone know how long it takes to render Datsville vs. rendering each
submodel within Datsville seperately?

I was thinking, that with some careful manipulation of the camera one might
render seperate models and then overlay the images in an image ediing
utility.  Of course, this way you would lose the shadows and some
reflections, but this may be negligable.  This way you *could* "render"
neighboring towns in the background, behind Datsville.

Just an idea...

Yours,
    Mike