 CAD / 6225
Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:30:03 GMT

Mike Horvath wrote:

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson writes:
Here's a first working version of what I was thinking about:
http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/ldboxer.zip

The *.box files have to be in the P, Parts, Models, or LDraw BaseDirectory.
The boxes.lst file has to be in the LDraw BaseDirectory.

Will it make life easier for the POV-Ray engine?
/Tore

Doesn't POVray do this inately?  After all, at some point POVray has to
decide which information it will display, and which information it will not
display.

I don't know. That's why I asked. :o) I will try to render a lot of ttore.dat's in a model and compare the time used to
the time used to render the same model with box replacements.

Wouldn't it speed up the rendering process even more if all LDraw
models were turned into hollow shells?

Yes, but how do we accomplish that still avoiding bad side effects?

Ok, I haven't really experimented very much with omitting polygons from
LDraw models (I said I would in previous posts... but...).  But, after all
invisible lines/boxes have been deleted, how many polygons are left over in
comparison to those in, say, Unreal or Quake?

I have absolutely no idea.

An interesting question that gets me thinking...

Oh, this is actually just becoming a continuation of a thread. I suggested
this  in a previous <A
HREF="http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=1298">post</A>, and Steve
Bliss gave an intelligent suggestion as an answer in this <A
HREF="http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=4787">post</A>.

I think it is virtually impossible to implement. But I hope I'm wrong. What I try to do is a less automated but
relatively easy way of making polygon elimination.

It seems to me this topic has been well covered before.  What has been
accomplished in this area so far, and what are your plans for future usage
and implementation?

Yes, I'm aware that it has been discussed before, but I haven't seen any accomplishments other than the alternative
POVray instructions in some parts. And that's a slightly different issue.

My plans are to be able to easily select and deselect parts (ie sub-models) of Datsville, and simplify it without any
quality loss to make it possible to render without a super-PC.

The ultimate goal is POVrayed movies from Datsville.

I could think of a myriad of uses.

Really? I can think of a few more. That Y Filtering for example could be extended. And the highlighting of a selected
line... I like it (if I may say it myself).

It could open the
door to areas where processor limitations existed before.  And, this doesn't
just center on and around, exclusively, POVray.

I can think of another <A
HREF="http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=596">thread</A> that would achieve
similar results in "simplification".  Instead of replacing the brick with a
box.dat part, you could replace it with a POVray primitive.

Yes, that could very likely be the next step...

Sorry to be redundant.

No, you're not. All your input is very valuable.

Mike