 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 596
595  |  597
Subject:
L3P user primitive substitution
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 19:51:16 GMT

Awhile back, I persuaded Lars Hassing to add a feature to L3P.  I wanted the
ability to substutite POV language commands in the comments of a .DAT file
that could be used in place of the DAT primitives when rendering through
POV.  This would allow users to add native POV commands that could render
better than the triangles and polygons defined  in DAT files.  Since the
commands are inbedded in comment fields, and only recognized by L3P, they
have no effect of any other tools.  Lars was waiting untill I tested the
commands to announce the feature.  The good news, is you probably already
have the ability to use these features.  He built them into Version 1.2
20000616.

The commands are
0 L3P IFPOV
  Conditional section begin
  Begin POV statements in comment statement fields

0 L3P IFNOTPOV
  Conditional section begin
  Begin DAT statements

0 L3P ELSEPOV
  Switch between above section modes

0 L3P ENDPOV
  Terminate conditional section

After running L3P, you can see in the POV file conditionals like
if(0) or if(1)
To see the alternate version for comparison, just change the constant in
these conditionals.

If you don't understand any of this, don't worry,  I am following this post
up with some examples.  Remember to get L3P V1.2 or latter to use thse.

-Chuck